Photo by Kyle Gill

Match Report: Altitude FC VS Harbourside FC

By Alex Rickman  /  May 9, 2024

On May 8th, Altitude FC returned to Kinsmen Field for their home opener, taking on Nanaimo’s Harbourside FC on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon in North Vancouver. The home opener is always an exciting time of year for any team, and it could be felt at the park that day, with the fans buzzing for another year of League1 BC action. So how did Altitude fare in their first games back at home? 

The women’s game kicked off at 3:30 and proved the importance of resilience in sports. Both Altitude and Harbourside showed a strong ability to weather the storm throughout the first half, as a series of counter-attacking opportunities on both sides were ultimately thwarted before Harbourside ultimately broke the deadlock in the 36th minute, giving them a lead they would take into the second half. However, despite Harbourside taking the lead and pushing hard for another quickly after scoring their first, the Altitude women proved that they had no quit in them and that they were not prepared to simply roll over and let Harbourside take the victory. 

Altitude would come out swinging in the second half, creating a very strong chance quickly after kickoff that would ultimately go out for a corner. However, after a 67th-minute goal from Harbourside doubled their advantage, Altitude seemed to be at long odds to come back and get a result. That was until Altitude was awarded a penalty just 3 minutes later, which was slotted home by Avery Tulloch to cut Harbourside’s lead to 1. The energy at Kinsmen noticeably changed after this goal, with both the fans and players for Altitude finding a second wind as the ladies looked to find an equalizer. That equalizer would be found in the 94th minute, as Jade Mitchell got on the end of a long ball and tucked it past the keeper to secure a point in the most dramatic fashion imaginable. 

At times it definitely felt like an Altitude comeback would be nearly impossible, but this game was an impressive display of mental toughness from Altitude. Despite Harbourside’s 2-goal lead late into the contest, Altitude was determined to get a result in front of their home stands, and through a display of sheer willpower, they were able to achieve just that. Things may not always be going your way in sports, but as Altitude proved today, it’s never about how you start, it’s how you finish. 

Kicking off at 6, Altitude’s men’s team came out of the gate strong, looking hungry from the moment the whistle blew to start the match. Harbourside would manage to get the first strong chance of the game, but after that, everything seemed to be coming up Altitude. New signing Carson Buschman-Dormond was putting on a show this half, creating several chances for the boys in blue, albeit to no avail, as this game went into the half 0-0. Despite the scoreline, however, it was clear that Altitude were controlling the game well to this point, and that if they could keep this up for the final 45 that this game would be theirs for the taking. 

In the 57th minute, the goal would finally come for Altitude, as Athos De Siquiera put home a Trivela to give Altitude a well-deserved advantage. Not long after, Carson Buschman-Dormond would tuck one home to double the Altitude lead, bringing the fans to life in celebration of the second Altitude goal in quick succession. While Harbourside would score in the 82nd minute to cut the Altitude lead in half, it would prove not to be enough for the visitors, as Altitude would see through a 2-1 victory in front of their home fans to put a cap on what could only be described as a fantastic home opener for both teams. 

Altitude’s women’s team now sit 3rd in the League1 BC table, behind only the Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy and newcomers Burnaby FC, while the men’s team are in 4th following their first win of the campaign. While it may still be very early in the season, things are shaping up for an excellent year of soccer at Kinsmen Field for the men and women of Altitude FC.